While last week was all about banging techno from Detroit, this week has a lot of variety in store for people who enjoy intelligent dance music featuring some of the best homegrown talents alongside some innovative international artists traversing different genres. In more ways than one, the scene has a long weekend with perhaps the biggest party starting on Thursday and multiple tours happening over the weekend so we are extending this list to 6.
- Dixon: It wouldn’t be an overestimation to call Dixon the best DJ in the world, particularly if your jam is melodic vocal house and groovy techno. The Innervisions boss is back in India for a one-off gig to celebrate 8 years of sLick!, the pathbreaking promoters based out of Mumbai. Happening at Mumbai’s techno hotspot, Kitty Su, Dixon will be playing an extended set this Thursday showcasing his brand of euphoric house and techno fused with his mastery of reading the dance floor. Suffice to say this will be one for the ages considering he is one of the greatest DJs on the planet as per the folks at Resident Advisor.
- Asymetrik: There is not even an iota of doubt that Arjun Vagale is India’s biggest export to the world of techno. He has been packing clubs all across the country to even Europe for years evolving to becoming one of the finest exponents of industrial techno. The ODD boss’s newest avatar is Asymetrik which is a live modular audio-visual project in collaboration with visual artist Thiruda which is a combination of experimental techno with mind-bending cinematic visuals. It is said to be a treat for the senses and it lands this weekend at the agent.co warehouse.
- Mod3rn live: Live, melodic and hypnotic — these are the three adjectives that typify a Mod3rn live set. And this weekend they make their India debut with shows at Delhi’s famed Auro kitchen & bar and the hottest new club in India, Prism, in Hyderabad. Mod3rn’s India debut is something to be savoured, especially for people who love hypnotic melodies on the dance-floor.
- Pooja B: Hailing from Dubai, Pooja B is a techno massive attack on the dance floor. Her star has risen over the last few months post her impressive debut at the Desert Oasis stage at the 2018 Magnetic Fields festival making her one of the most sought after techno artists in the country. This Friday she’s making her debut in New Delhi for a special women’s day party curated by team warpcore at Mango. She’s also playing a special closing set at the afterparty along side Tasnneem and Cosmic Compass.
- DJ Tennis: DJ Tennis channels his associations with post-rock bands like Godspeed You! Black Emperor to create futuristic sounds and he meshes this gift with an astute knowledge of the dance floor. This makes him one of the most forward-thinking selectors in the world. He has the uncanny knack of creating intimacy in chaos claims Resident Advisor. This Thursday he lands in Delhi at Auro Kitchen and Bar, while on Friday he takes over Mumbai’s infamous Drop. Be prepared to be schooled!
- Blot! Live: After debuting his dreamy 3-hour live show dubbed Paradise Lost last November in Mumbai, Gaurav Malaker has taken the show to Delhi, Pune and Jaipur where it received a ravenous response. This weekend Malaker aka Blot! takes over Kolkata’s Remount in a warehouse affair curated by Red Bull Music. Blot! Live is a precisely cut show that comprises of original music written by Malaker over the course of the last 5 years, performed live. It features dreamy melodies, peppy grooves, euphoric vocals immersing the audience in an environment that has very tasteful decor and lighting.