When it came out in November 2017, the Justice League was a disaster for what was considered to be one of the most important movies of the decade. Zack Snyder who was the brains behind Warner Brother’s and DC’s equivalent of Disney’s Marvel Cinematic Universe had to step away from the production of the Justice League after the suicide of his daughter Autumn. A month later Synder left the project mid-way and Avengers director Josh Whedon was brought in who did many reshoots, cuts — basically redid the movie. Till this date, Snyder claims that what people saw was probably 1/4th of what he had done. Almost immediately there was a growing movement for the “Snyder Cut” of the movie as it was critically panned. Even though the movie grossed $658 million worldwide, it probably underperformed as it didn’t hit the billion-dollar mark that some of Marvel movies hit. By 2019, there was an acknowledgement of this from Ben Affleck and Gal Gadot and even Warner Bros chairman Toby Emmerich which has culminated in this rebirth of Snyder’s Justice League.
New wine old bottle new wine
- Synder is back with his wife Deborah on the project. They were asked to come on-board by Toby Emmerich.
- This could be a 4-hour cut as that’s what Synder had originally envisioned. It could be split into 6 chapters.
- It will exclusively launch on HBO Max which is the streaming service Warner Bros is developing. It will come in 2021.
- Synder is reassembling the original post-production crew to score, cut, add new and finish old visual effects.
- There is also talk of getting the actors back to record additional dialogue. You can bet Ben Affleck, Gal Gadot, Jason Mamoa and Henry Cavill to be back for any recuts.
- The total exercise is said to cost somewhere between $20-$30 million which is a lot of money for a recut.
While all of this happened, DC’s vision of having an expanded universe fell apart. The Justice League was the lynchpin around the idea and its failure resulted in the exit of Ben Affleck as Batman. Affleck has been replaced by Robert Pattinson who is scheduled to reprise the seminal role for October 2021.
The good news though is that Henry Cavill remains committed to his role of Superman and Gal Gadot has actually experienced a lot of success with the Wonder Woman movie with a sequel slated to release later this year in August but that will be subjective to the situation with the pandemic. Jason Mamoa’s Aquaman was also a successful exercise which leaves a lot of hope for the franchise.
What’s encouraging is what Snyder has said to Hollywood reporter. “It will be an entirely new thing, and, especially talking to those who have seen the released movie, a new experience apart from that movie,” he said while also admitting that he hasn’t seen the original cut. Synder’s wife Deborah also adds that this wouldn’t have been possible if streaming services weren’t so popular. Synder thought that he would probably give away the footage in 20 years for a documentary to be made.